Officially opened Saturday 14th July 1951
See their official website
(see Old Photographs)
Stroud & District Football League
It was with deep shock & sorrow
that we heard of the death of Bob White, 52, on Saturday 22nd March at King George V
playground, during a game of football.
IS SADLY MISSED...
...was the headline in the Gloucestershire ECHO article written by Karryanne Clancy on Thursday 27th March 2003, following a conversation with a friend of Bob's Adrian Morgan. I quote ....."Bob White leaves behind a legacy of dedication to Shurdington Rovers FC. His first match with the club was at the age of 14 and his dedication to the game and the grounds never faltered. Every Saturday he could be seen on the pitch behind the Bell Inn Public House in Shurdington marking out the pitch and putting up the nets ready for kick-off. Bob was born and bred in the village and spent many years working at Marley Buildings. He remained there for 25 years until the firm closed in 1991. He started a new job in the accounts department of Wychavon District Council and also held a position on Shurdington Parish Council for many years. His love of football never faltered and he took an active part in some 1,500 matches. His highlight was a Treble in 1991 when the club won the county cup, the Stroud League and the charity's cup. In 2002 Bob White was given a Lifetime Achievement award."...
The funeral service took place on Tuesday 1st April 2003 at noon in St Paul's Church, Shurdington, and was followed by cremation at Cheltenham Crematorium. A wake was also held in his favourite haunt, King George V Playground in Shurdington.
See transcript on right.
Click to enlarge
A hand drawn map of King George Playing Field to a scale of 1/1250 - sadly undated and unsigned. (Click to enlarge)
Saturday, July 14th, 1951
Opening Ceremony to be
|ADVERTISERS IN THE SOUVENIR PROGRAMME
SHURDINGTON SERVICE STATION
CHINN BROS. GARAGES LTD
Cheltenham & Hereford Ales & Stout
HODGES & SON (Clothiers) Ltd
Souvenir programme printed by A E Errington, Hewlett Road, Cheltenham
|A TOUCH OF HISTORY
FOREWORD in the Souvenir Programme...
Way back in 1937 a movement was started in Shurdington for a Playing Field.
In June 1938, a scheme estimated to cost £750 was circulated to each Elector in the Parish, and approval was given by a Parish Meeting to raise a loan of £400 towards the cost.
By August 1938, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners had agreed to a sale to the Council of 6.623 acres of Glebe Land at a cost of £480. Arguments then took place between the Council, the Solicitors and the Vendors, regarding restrictive covenants, Vendors Solicitor's costs, etc. Hard knocks were given and received. A lease of the land was offered on the one hand and compulsory purchase threatened on the other. However, by the end of June 1939, a draft conveyance had been settled and application was made for a loan. It was now the turn of the Ministry of Health to delay, and on the 15th December 1939, they wrote refusing the loan owing to the outbreak of War. On the 4th March 1940, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners sent the Conveyance to the Council for execution. The Council had no money to complete, without the loan, and thus ended the Parish Council's first effort.
After the War the Parish Council had to enter into a fresh contract and also pay another £100 for the field. Restriction on borrowing made a loan impossible. The Fund Sub-Committee then came into being and by May 1948, handed to the Council a cheque for £500. With the subscriptions already in hand of £160 the Council now had no need for a loan.
It is not possible to set out here all the details and set-backs which were experienced up to the final conveyance to the Council on the 16th June 1948.
Thanks to the grit and determination of the people of Shurdington to acquire this particular field, it is now theirs, vested in the Parish Council, as a public playing firld and recreation ground to be known forever as "KING GEORGE'S FIELD."
A Layout has been agreed to provide Cricket, Football, Hockey, Netball and School organised games areas. Children's corner, Tennis Courts, Bowling Green, Car Park and Pavilion.
The official opening finds the Council at the completion of the first stage of their scheme.
The council wish to place on record their appreciation to Major Kenneth Shennan for his help in obtaining a grant of £325 from the King George's Field Foundation and also to the Fund Sub-Committee for raising a sum over £700.
3pm National Anthem.
3.15pm Cricket Match:
Shurdington Cricket Club versus Coombe Hill Cricket Club.
3.45pm Teas in Marquee
4 pm CHILDREN'S SPORTS. Entries to be made on the field in accordance with announcements which will be made over the loud speaker.
4.45pm DISPLAY BY GIRL GUIDES AND BOY SCOUTS by kind permission of Mrs Christie and Mr Trainer.
5 - 5.30pm Cricket Interval.
6 pm Country, Community and Morris Dancing.
7 pm GRAND CONCERT in the marquee (Book in advance).
9.15pm CARNIVAL DANCE in the Village Hall.
Announcements will be made
over the Loud Speaker.
Copyright © P Calleja-Gera: All rights reserved.